Updates! Updates! Updates!

UPDATES!

As many of you can see, I've been a pretty terrible blogger lately! What can I say...Life.

Monday, November 21, 2011

NaNoWriMo (Day 21 of 30) Strangers in the Dark (43,822 words left)


So, I think I'm getting stuck in my head again, and my head is somewhere in Australia trying to convince myself that I do NOT need to revise now! But I want to so freaking bad! Like I had mentioned last week, I saw my friend Kimberli (the friend that is preparing for publication because she's a brilliant writer.) Well, speaking with her just made me realize how much more I have to learn about writing and how much my writing can still improve. She also pointed out all the "telling" in my story. (That's really my biggest nightmare!) I think I would prefer that (DARE I SAY IT!?!?!?) my manuscript be full of typos rather than be full of telling! (THE HORROR!)
But, I am going to try and move past this instead of seeking perfection on the first try because I know it's not possible. Kimberli said that her drafts always start out like mine and then she goes in later and plays around. I just have to get the basics down.
Suffice to say, I'm not completely over it and was only able to get down 86 words, but here they are.
Strangers in the Dark
(Still on Chapter Two)

What was I doing? Thinking I could simply walk out the door with a pack in one hand and a gun in the other? What did I expect? That I’d walk around the corner, see my brother or father struggling with a Recruiter, shoot the Recruiter in the knee cap, and get the hell out of here? Absolutely not. No way it would ever work out like that. Nevertheless, I stood with only one foot out the door, wishing that’s exactly how it would play out. (86 words)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, one of the most frequently recited points I hear in workshop is "show, don't tell." It's something that seems to be difficult to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt...Me too! And I hate it! But it's one of the only ways to get a first draft down real fast. I think it's okay to have some of it because you can always go back and change it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversations! This blog is a part of the "Follow Me If You Dare Revolution!" Join the Revolution here...http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/p/do-you-dare_18.html...to promote the best kind of following!