Someone is cursing all my pens and I ask that you please refrain from doing so. Okay, maybe no one has actually cursed my pens, but it is one of the many conclusions I have come to in the last few weeks. See, a good amount of my pens have died on me lately. At one point, I was writing and my pen died, and then literally the next 2 pens I picked up died within minutes of each other! In total, I think I have thrown away 7-10 pens in the last 3 weeks. It’s kind of creeping me out. Thus, I have concluded many different things…
1. Someone is cursing my pens.
2. These pens are all very old.
3. The pens have all banded together and gone on strike.
4. It is a sign from the gods that I should stop writing. (I certainly hope not.)
5. Computers are the pens of the future.
6. The weather is colder and the ink in my pens has thickened?
7. The atmosphere is dryer so the pens are just drying up faster.
8. There is a mass pen suicide going on that I have yet to hear about.
9. I am unconsciously using every pen I own at an equal rate, therefore, it stands to reason that they would also die at an equal rate.
10. They’re just really crappy pens.
So, tell me. Is the age of the pen coming to an end? Is this a portent of something to come?