I don't know about everyone else, but Christmas Eve IS my FAVORITE day in the whole year! Here are a few things that make it so special and unique...
1. My entirely family gathers in one house. That's approximately 40 of us in my grandma's house.
2. We all go to church together. (Don't smite me, but it's the only time I go to church so it's pretty special.)
3. We have a big buffet style feast. EVERYTHING is homemade! (My grandma will scold you if you bring food from a store.) And it's MEDITERRANEAN style. Some people do hams or turkey. We do kibbe and grape leaves! (Yum Yum!) If you're wondering why we do this, it's because my grandfather was Lebanese and Syrian.
4. We open presents on Christmas Eve! We open presents from Grandma and then we play a White Elephant game. I don't know if anyone knows what this is, but here's the gist...Everyone brings one unlabelled present and places it in the middle of the room, everyone draws numbers, the person with the number 1 has to choose a present in the middle and open it, then share what the present is with the rest of the family, the person with the number two can then steal that present or choose from the middle, and so on, and so on. It's a hundred times more fun than exchanging presents! Oh! We also have a $25 limit so no one goes too crazy.
5. SNOW! We get so much beautiful snow and all the cousins go out and play in it! We have snowball fights, build forts, go sledding, and snowmobiling!
6. CARDS! My entire family is filled with card playing FREAKS! We have one book that records everyone's score from the last 20 years or so. What games do we play, you ask? I don't know if anyone will know what these games are (I've only met one other person who knows what I am talking about) but we play Hand and Foot, and Shang Hai! SO MUCH FUN!
Well, that's what makes Christmas Eve the best day of the year for me!
How about you guys...
Is Christmas Eve your favorite day of the year? If so, why? If not, which day is?
What are you doing for the Christmas weekend?
I can't wait to hear all of your stories when I get back on Sunday!